Volunteers - Drivers
Instructions for Equinox
Thanksgiving Dinner Volunteers
(Empire State Plaza)
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are not feeling well, please do not volunteer!!
- Driving involves a long wait in line on the Concourse, likely 3 hours or more.
- Free parking is available in “V” Visitor Parking Lot or P-2 if the V lot fills.
- It is possible that all individuals in the vehicle will need to show identification to State Police.
- Expect there may be a line of vehicles waiting to get into the parking lot.
- Go to Concourse level and get into the line for Drivers.
- Please bring containers such as plastic laundry baskets to transport meals. Carts with wheels are also helpful.
- Some drivers arrive as early as 5:30am. We recommend between 6:30am and 7:00am.
- You should definitely be in line between 8:00am and 9:00am. Those that arrive later will likely deliver to a household with an Albany city zip code.
- Meals will begin to move out at 9:00am.
- Packs of meal delivery cards with names & addresses of recipients are arranged by zip code.
- A GPS is recommended or access to Google Maps. Some directions are provided.
- Expect to deliver to 2-4 locations; each driver will deliver up to a total of 10 dinners.
- All meals should be delivered within 2 hours of departure from Empire State Plaza.
- If you deliver to an apartment building please be sure to give meals directly to tenants NOT to people waiting in the lobby offering to help out.
- Do not leave meals unattended. Recipients have been told they must be home starting at 9:00 am and lasting until their meal is delivered.
- If recipient is not home, please find another person in need of the meal. Do not return the meal to the Plaza.
WHY THE WAIT??
- Food is packed cold and to keep the food at a safe temperature we do not start the assembly line for packing until about 7:30
- The food must remain cold until just before we are ready to hand off to the drivers.
- We do not have the ability and the space to pack in advance and store the food in the takeout containers
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE
No events available.